Sunday, June 5, 2011

Canoeing

The other day in class we went canoeing. I however couldn't go because I had really bad sun poisoning and it hurt just walk outside.


I have, however done a lot of canoeing back home in Rhode Island and some kayaking in Virginia. I used to have my own canoe and every sunday my parents and I would either go to the beach or to the pond and take our canoe out together. I love anything that has to do with the water, but there is something so peaceful about being in a canoe and kayak as opposed to a motor boat.  By canoeing, you're at one with nature. It's your own will to speed up, or slow down. You can take in all the surroundings around you and experience new sites, sounds, and some animals.

"What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other travel. Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature." - Pierre Elliott Trudeau



When I was in Virginia, my dad and I went kayaking. His house has a little bay that opens into the ocean. It was similiar to canoeing but I was much more excited for it. The water was rough and splashing over the kayak. I think I enjoyed it so much because my adrenaline was pumping a little bit. It was fun kayaking in Virginia because the area so different than it is in Rhode Island and Florida. In Rhode Island, I canoed in a freshwater pond with a few small trails. In Virginia, I kayaked in salt seawater. It was an adujustment from relaxing at a liesurly pace to the adrenaline pumping of the water splashing over my kayak.




"ORIGINALITY is unexplored territory.
You get there by carrying a canoe...you can't take a taxi."
-- Alan Alda


"There is nothing that is so aesthetically pleasing and yet so functional and versatile as the canoe." -- Bill Mason

Someday I would like to take a trip somewhere really cool to kayak. Somewhere where I have never been or dream of going and just experience the raw sight of nature untouched.

No comments:

Post a Comment