Sunday, June 5, 2011

Last Child In The Woods

I read a chapter in The Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. In it he talked about kids today have a nature deficit disorder. By that he means that they have no idea how interact in nature. They know what it is, but they know by watching nature on TV.




Today so many kids sit in front of their TVs or video games and they stay there until bed time. It's disheartening. I am was a camp counselor for two summers in a row and I loved it. I love being with children and outside playing. What I wasn't expecting however, was the constant fighting to get the kids put their portable video games away. Every time I would turn around I would catch them sneaking it. I had to work very hard to get them to enjoy being outside and playing games. Getting them to open up and use their imagination was a task in itself.

When I was little, I grew up on the beach and then moved to the woods. I loved it. I was constantly outside. I knew once dusk hit then I had to head home. I used to make mud pies when I was a toddler, and then when I was younger pretend that I lived in the trees. I had a passion for everything outside during all the seasons.



I was also an avid tree climber. I loved climbing the trees as high up as a I could go. I remember feeling like I was on top of the world and could see everything. Growing up, I never worried about toys, TV, Sega games, or anything of the sort. My parents didn't bring me up to be reliant on those objects so it didn't bother me that I was only allowed to watch a few hours of TV a week.

In the chapter, Louv states that he thinks nature can help kids with ADHD. I don't disagree with him. My brother has ADHD, and he was always getting in trouble in school. "Brett is too hyper, Brett is too rough". So when Brett got involved in biking and being outside more, his attitude change was very noticeable. He started interacting in a positive manner and getting better grades. It wasn't leaps or bounds but it was there.

Personally, I think schools, parents, babysitters, etc., should make more time outside. Go for a walk, read a book outside, anything. By doing this our generation and generations to come will hopefully appreciate what we have now and do something to keep it beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment