Thursday, June 16, 2011

Class Presentations

These past two days in class we have been going over our presentations for the book Plan B which talks about the issues we have going on all over the world and some possible solutions to try and fix them in the future. The book also forecasts what will happen if we do not take these steps to better ourselves and the entirety of Earth.


I really enjoyed my chapter (chapter 2), actually enjoyed isn't a very good word for it. All of that information was a lot, and it was enough to freak anyone out, whether you find the issues going on big or small. I had no idea about top soil or water aquifers until this class. But after reading my chapter, I realized just how incredibly serious this really is. I knew there were civilian attacks in different countries like Rwanda, etc. but I didn't realize how frequent they were and how common they are in countries in the middle east.

I will say, that my favorite presentation was Chapter 9, Feeding 8 Billion People Well. I think the group did an amazing job holding the classes attention and involving them in their lesson. They gave forth a lot of information and different ideas that are reasonably priced for any ones pocket to save water, food, etc. 

Their PowerPoint enlightened me in little ways. For example, they said " we always hear that we're lacking oil, never lacking food". Why is that? There are so many countries with little to no food. Malnourishment is high in those countries to the point that children are eating dirt to have something in their stomachs. Why do we obsess over oil, but not obsess over fixing our planet? If we are really wasting two meals a day, which I believe because sometimes I am guilty of it, why can't we do something with our excess food to help others?



These presentations all did a lot to make oneself think. They all did a good job of broadcasting what is really going on, but what some of us may not be seeing, and giving reasonable solutions to somehow try and fix it at minimum cost. The experience was definitely eye opening. For people looking for answers, and looking for ways to better themselves, our country, and our Earth, I would recommend reading this book by Lester Brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment