Thursday, June 16, 2011

Downtown Fort Myers


Living in Tampa for the past 6 years, when I hear the word downtown I automatically assume city. Built up, no view, skyscrapers, and the forum.
The other week, my class took a trip to Downtown Fort Myers. I have been there once before for a fishing tournament, but I never really took the sites in. I stayed at the Indigo Hotel, which was really really nice, and still is, and every night walked to a little pizza place.

This trip was different however, this time, I actually learned something about the area. I do admit, that sometimes I am ignorant in a sense when I go places. I don't think about how the area was before all the buildings, and hotels. I just see what I see at that given moment. This trip however, gave me the opportunity to open my eyes and think about what downtown used to look like.


Even still, downtown Fort Myers looks great. I saw a lot of greenery and its surrounded by water so it was still a cool view.


While downtown, we visited a Museum. While walking through it was cool to see the bones of the animals that used to walk this Earth. For example, the saber tooth, the ground sloth, and even some aquatic creatures. Here is how huge the Ground Sloth was:

In the museum, I saw the tools the Indians used, and what they were intended for. I saw the old battle set up of Ft. Myers and even what an iron lung contraption looked like. It was cool seeing history as it related to that one area.

I enjoyed walking through downtown and taking everything in. It was neat seeing the new building plans for downtown and just viewing the life downtown as compared to other places.

No comments:

Post a Comment